You can call it a Make Shift Coffee House if it meets the following 7 criteria:
- The purpose is to help people understand each other's political views, and hang out.
- Free admission and a welcoming environment for all ages and all types of people.
- Diverse political perspectives and beliefs among participants (special outreach required to achieve this).
- Neutral, humble, creative, competent facilitation.
- Free food, coffee, and other beverages.
- Live music.
- Listed on the Make Shift Coffee House website calendar.
Host a Make Shift Coffee House
Does your community provide opportunities for respectful, civil discussions with people of diverse political opinions?
If not, YOU could get it started. Consider bringing a Make Shift Coffee House to your local library, grange hall, church basement, school, VFW hall, or other public space.
Send us an email to request our comprehensive Hosting Guide or our Guide for Colleges and Universities.
Although Make Shift Coffee House Hosts are not required to attend our Training Sessions, it's highly encouraged!
Facilitate a Make Shift Coffee House
Facilitating a Make Shift Coffee House is not for amateurs, yet any experienced facilitator who believes in the Make Shift Purpose and Hallmarks can do a terrific job.
Before you facilitate a Make Shift Coffee House, we recommend (although not required) you have:
- Attended a Make Shift Coffee House
- Participated in Make Shift Coffee House Facilitator Training with Craig
If you participate in Make Shift Coffee House Facilitator Training with Craig:
- We will list you at our website as a potential facilitator.
- You will have an opportunity to earn $500 every time you facilitate a Make Shift Coffee House.
About Facilitator Training
A Make Shift Coffee House Training Session with Craig Freshley is a full-day event. The morning portion focuses on topics like logistics, promotion, venue, music, food, etc. The afternoon portion focuses on topics such as implementing Make Shift Coffee House formats, facilitation techniques, how to handle group conflict, time management, etc. Facilitators are expected to attend both the morning and afternoon sessions.
If you purchase tickets for the Facilitator Training by March 31st you will receive a $50 discount as part of the Early Bird Registration!
Starting April 1 the Make Shift Training fee for facilitators is $200. If you attend a Make Shift Coffee House and if you facilitate a Make Shift Coffee House within 6 months of attending the training, you will receive $500! After that it is our intention to provide facilitators who have attended our training sessions $500 for each additional Make Shift Coffee House, as funds allow. Preference will be given to compensation of facilitation in Maine because that's where we are concentrating our efforts and trying to make an impact.
Let us know if you are Planning a Make Shift Coffee House
If you are planning to host or facilitate a Make Shift Coffee House, it's critical that you let us know so we can post it on our website calendar, be a resource for you, and provide you with Make Shift Coffee House branded materials. We want to be helpful. Please reach out and ask us questions.